Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Piece of Mind

Sometimes we try something for the first time because it scares us, or because we don’t know what to expect, but the second time it is because our curiosity provokes us into it. To satisfy our peace of mind, we think maybe our second experiences and impressions might just be different from the first.

***
The four of us in the Jimmy head out the back roads of the County, Keith and Nikki in the front, Chris and I in the back for our double date to the gravel pit.
The landscape in Northern Maine is filled with hills that roll into the horizon, houses that rest slanted, and farm equipment shiny and rusted parked in the dooryards.

We turn down Cow Tail Road. A white fence follows, and dips with the peaks and valleys of the green pasture. The sun shinning, and the cows grazing, this peaceful scenery is smothered in the stench of caw patties as we cross the narrow bridge over the brook. We veer right down the dirt road.

Keith sets out to inspect the area, by walking about the pit. Determining its safety, he sets up the target by hammering it into the sand pile, and staples on the paper bulls-eye. He then unloads his collection of arms and ammunition.

We create a firing line. Keith steps up first with his brand new Springfield XDM, 9mm semiautomatic. He locks and loads and assumes the position. We all pull our ear protection over our ears as he fires. The sound echoes through the pit, and can be felt in the air. An excellent shot at that, beautiful grouping at the bulls-eye.

We each take turns firing.

This being my second time to ever fire a gun, I step up to the firing line, and stand tall with my arms out in front of me. My left hand firmly grasps the ivory grips of “Dirty Susan” Keith’s .38 special double action revolver. I load her up with bullets.

I slip my finger over the trigger, cock the hammer back with my right thumb and stare down the sights till I find the bulls-eye. Ready I breathe in and hold my breath, aim and fire.

The barrel tipped upward as the bullet ejected, my shot didn’t even make the target. My hands, my wrists, my shoulders all absorb the recoil. Recoil was a concept I had yet to experience.

A little flustered I take a deep breath, peer down the sights and aim a little lower than the center. I cock the hammer and fire again. I make the target this time. I repeat this action, with deep breaths and tight grips till the five round revolver empties. For good measure, I fire one more shot. The pistol warm in my hand, smokes a little as I push the release with my thumb. I open the cylinder to expel the empty shells to the ground.

Exhilarated, pumping with adrenaline I reach for the next gun. I go down the line taking turns with my group and trying each gun of collection before us. A .22 Rifle, .38 special revolver, .357 magnum, 9mm semiautomatic, and a 12 gauge shotgun to boot. We shoot up all the targets that we had and most of the ammunition.

***

Sometimes we try something for the first time because it scares us, or because we don’t know what to expect, but the second time is because our curiosity provokes us into it. There’s nothing like the power of a pistol in the grip of your female hand. I certainly found my piece of mind and I keep on the nightstand.

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Here you go: a specific time, place, incident, action remembered--all framed front and back with ideas about fear, security, safety--and adding up to an adult memoir about the gravel-pit-shooting-party-leading-to-my-nighttable-accessory.

Ordinarily, spelling is the last thing on my mind, but 'giving someone a piece of your mind' is one thing, while having 'peace of mind' is another.

Stargaizer_Lily said...

I understand the difference between the two. That was my point. In the intro you seek peace of mind which you find in the end as a "piece"(as in firearm) of mind.

johngoldfine said...

Awk, sorry for not seeing that you were playing with words, not screwing up homonyms.... My bad.