Friday, September 03, 2010

Intro of Self

I reside in a crooked little tree house, on an island off the coast of Maine. I serve up the Downeast experience to tourists by summer and attend classes and paint during the quiet of winter.
I grew up out in the country. My siblings and I had fourteen acres of woods to play around on. Mind you though, living out in the boonies isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. We had to find ways to keep ourselves entertained. I spent a lot of time coloring and playing with school supplies; trying to make things, out of other things.
I blossomed after a two experience at catholic school. Seventh and Eighth grade I discovered that I was not only an artist but a painter, and not a catholic at all.
When I returned to public school, academically I enjoyed it, but it turned a little rough for me socially. I wanted out. With the support of my advisers and family, I sailed through rough waters as an honor roll student and graduated as a junior.
I continued my education attending college classes as a non-matriculated student. It suited me at the time. It provided me with the opportunity to take a whim; to come and go as I pleased. I have traveled across the country coast to coast by plane, by car, and once and only once, by greyhound bus. I have been to thirty one states in the U.S. I have wintered in warmer places.
Having spent that time collecting my wits about me, I eventually became a matriculated student.
I am now a Phi Theta Kappa member, enrolled in the Liberal Studies Program at Eastern Maine Community College. I have been picking away at this for some time now. I’m down to six classes to earn my degree. I am also an award winning artist at the annual Blue Hill Fair.
After it’s all said and done, I intend to leave this island and this crooked little tree house. I aspire to weave together my passion for academia and for art into one and to venture off to a school of art.

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Hey, sg_l--long time no see. Six years! You were in my first online 162 and were one of the writers who gave me heart.

This piece rests between first and last grafs, nestles between the images or metaphors or realities of the tree house and the island. Those intro/outro grafs may seem obvious or toss-offs, but to me they are sg_l's voice gearing up for 262.

Stargaizer_Lily said...

I have just returned from Blue Hill,wish I had known before I posted. I am not only an award winning artist at the annual Blue Hill Fair; but as for this year, I have been awarded "Best Of Show!"

johngoldfine said...

Congratulations!